Wednesday, May 14, 2008

The First Blog

Ok I've just gotten us started here. I'm going to kind of re-post my last 2 blogs as a Beginning to Discussing our lives together :)


March 31, 2008 ~
Hello All!
I hope you’re all out enjoying the beautiful weather these days! We certainly have been! I thought I’d share some fun insight into this past weekend... So, Brad and I decided that we wanted to try our hand at gardening.. Specifically tomatoes :) And Brad had heard that Sweet 100s were the way to go :) Sounds great :) We headed up to Lowe’s to pick out some tomato plants and while we were there, Brad spotted a bell pepper plant to add to the list. I found some BEAUTIFUL hydrangeas but a price check made me leave those at the store :) Meanwhile, Wes wanted to plant something too... Only, he doesn’t like tomatoes and doesn’t care about peppers... So we let him pick out what he’d like to add.. and he spots it! Corn Seeds! Well ok then :)
So, we troop on home with our plants and his seeds... and we set to work on our back yard :) I mainly stayed out of the way and started a pine straw and pine cone burn fest while the boys dug holes and mixed soil and Miracle-Growed our plants :) It was a very busy afternoon to say the least! When we started planning where everything would go, we read the packets - plant these 18" apart... these 24" apart, etc... Well, when you plant corn it has to be a certain distance apart and a few per row so there will be plenty of pollination! They’ll be at least as tall as Brad... Oh My! We’re gonna have a corn field! *sigh* but wes is really excited about it... and he gleefully dug the holes for his seeds AND helped rake the yard! How very handy he is!



Later that night as we’re all resting and eating dinner I’m still thinking about those hydrangeas :( I realize that we don’t have any new flowers to bloom at the front door so I want to go back and look for some flowers to plant :) So, Sunday after church we head back to Lowe’s ... Wes asks, "Why are we going there again?" and Brad jokes that I was jealous of all their new plants and now I want something to plant, too... and Wes very sweetly asks, "Mom, do you want some of my corn seeds?"


:) Life Is Good.

May 1, 2008 ~
Ok.... it's a very sad announcement i have to make ... brace yourselves for the worst... something dug up and chewed on our corn! it was a staggering 12 inches tall one day and the next it was all laid over in the dirt :(

i'll try to see the silver lining - we did have some small sprouts growing in a tupperware dish and we were able to transplant them. we haven't told wes the news yet but we probably will tonight :( oh it's gonna make him so sad!

Also, there was a small pepper beginning to appear on the pepper plant, but it was also chewed off and laying on the ground the day after the corn massacre.

On a more positive note... we do have 3 small tomatoes that appeared yesterday so we are hopeful about that :) The tomatoes seem to be thriving - they're over a yard tall now which is just phenomenal!

So that is our garden update for now.






May 14, 2008~
We actually had several tiny green bugs appear practically overnight... They COVERED our poor tomato plants and were pretty gross. SO Brad wisely consulted with his mom and we now have 2 kinds of bug potions to try to fix this problem... I am happy to report that, other than that, the tomatos look LOVELY and there are SEVERAL little tiny green tomatoes on each plant :)

No comments: