Sunday, April 11, 2010

Workin on the Garden

I don't know if you've noticed, but the weather has been GORGEOUS this weekend :) And we decided to capitalize on that yesterday. We started by doing a little shopping - Particularly, we went plant shopping!

Brad and I have had our eye on this large, bushy tree at the end of our porch lately. Neither of us like it and it scratches our column and gutters. PLUS, it obscures the view of the daylillies that are planted behind it. So we decided to replace it with a few azaleas.

Here is the BEFORE picture:


It took all three of us to get the job done. I sheared off several branches - Brad sawed the tree down - and Wes hauled all the branches to the backyard. Afterwards, I dug holes and placed the new azalea bushes. We were all three absolutely worn out, but the results are well worth the effort.

See for yourself:




In the process, I was able to relocate some daylillies to the front part of the garden so I am really happy to have recycled them :)




Oh - and Wes was super proud of himself when he was done hauling branches. I have to say, he did an impressive job. Take a look:






The azaleas are going to be a great addition to the front yard. One is absolutely covered in Blaauws Pink Azaleas and the other, slightly smaller one is an Encore Azalea named Autumn Amethyst. The cool thing is not only will it have the beautiful purple blooms from Spring through Fall, but when the blooms fade in winter, they leave behind Purple-ish Foilage How cool is that?


If you can't see them well enough in the photo, click the links in the previous paragraph :)
While I was at it yesterday, I planted my Red Hydrangea in front of the blue one from Mom Smith. I centered the red on in front of the kitchen window because word on the street tells me that another Mom Smith Hydrangea *might* be headed my way... But shh - you didn't hear that from me! :)
Besides, the red on still has a while before it catches up with the first one :) I just am hoping for some blooms this year :)


That's about all we worked on yesterday -But there will be more daylilly relocations scheduled for next weekend. Oh and there are now 4 small rose buds and a handful of green blueberries sprouting up in the back yard. Needless to day, I'm about to have lots of updating to do :)
Stay tuned for fun updates from the AWANA Grand Prix next Saturday :)

No comments: