Monday, March 21, 2011

Trying Something New

I'm pretty excited :) I have started something that I have wanted to try for YEARS!

It may sound incredibly simple, but I've always wanted to grow my own herbs. I blame my mom for this (and if she reads this, I'm sure she's proud)

So, Mom Smith helped me pick out some pots... which was possibly the trickiest part! And she donated some seeds to the cause :)

I am now anxiously awaiting:
Sweet Basil, Cilantro / Coriander and two kinds of Parsley

How do you like my DIY labels?


Another Mom Smith addition is phlox. I spotted her pots of phlox and thought they were fun so she took me to see if I saw any varieties I might like....


At first, I admit, I was not sure I really needed any more flowers.... But then I discovered that these are perennials!! I like the idea that I won't have to replant these next year (sorry, pansies) So we got three batches of these sweet purple flowers:








In addition to the new flowers, I am really happy to see some returning from last year...


Let me rephrase that... I was "happy" to see the tulips again this spring because they were so beautiful last year.


But I can admit that bulbs are fairly reliable. My growing number of daffodils doesn't impress me...


What does impress me (and Wes) is that my ranunculus are back!! In fact, the one plant that bloomed last year is back and LARGER :) If you'll recall... It looked like THIS  last year.




What's really cool is that I think I have figured out what conditions are needed to grow these flowers. I had one successful plant last year. Figuring out why that one worked, I planted 6 more in the fall.... So the 2 year old plant has about 6 or 7 buds / blooms... and the 1st year plants are all humming along with 1 or 2 buds (like the one last year)

SO - Just IMAGINE how beautiful all of the plants will be NEXT spring! I can't wait!!

And, there is one last new thing I've discovered.

Thanks to Wesley I have happily added a few orange accents in the flower bed... Such as the ranunculus.. and "his" pansies and snapdragons...

And you know what I've discovered?



Orange looks surprisingly good with purple :)



Wouldn't you agree?

No comments: