Thursday, December 20, 2012

Christmas Tree Skirt

It's finally Christmas time and I have been dying all year to make a tree skirt I spotted on Pinterest! Instructions are found HERE.
 
I gathered my supplies and my instructions and set to work.
 
 
I opted to lay out my muslin in layers and then I cut several strips at once. So, once I had cut as far as I could reach, I scooted the fabric forward and continued. This was much quicker than cutting one strip the full length and then cutting the next and so on. Here's a picture in case that description didn't make perfect sense:

 
I will say, the directions said to cut 2" strips, but I measured and mine look much smaller than theirs.
 
Also, the directions say to put the line of hot glue about an inch and a half above the previous row. I would say, don't measure and instead lay each strip over the last one to decide where you need glue. the second row, I put the glue in using a rough measurement, but when I stuck the fabric on it left a gap. I later cut short strips and filled in a few gaps so it wasn't a big deal. See:
 
 
It took several nights of working in short bursts, but I got it finished. I was really impressed with the final result!
 


 
 
It is sort of too big for our tree, but I assured Brad that one day we might get a bigger tree ;)

It really is beautiful even though the background kitchen chaos sort of detracts. I'll have a separate post about WHY our kitchen was a mess. Stay tuned.

 
Also, how do you like the deco mesh on the tree this year?
Looks SO much better and more finished than in years past.

Here's a close up without the kitchen chaos...

 
And, you know, it really makes me laugh to think how long I spent on that tree skirt.
 
If I had only know that it wouldn't matter once we finished wrapping all our gifts....
 
 


No comments: